Tuesday, February 21, 2017  
Breaking News Alerts
Email Alerts
Email Address
Text Alerts
Mobile Number
 )  - 
Mobile Provider
standard messaging rates apply
Search By Keyword
Grenada patrolman Robert Shuffield directs traffic around the scene of a tractor-trailer accident Thursday morning on Interstate 55 just south of the Grenada exit. The parked rig, which was fully-loaded with paper products, was sideswiped by another semi-truck carrying large, steel pipes.
Staff Writer

   The first week of the new year has kept area law enforcement busy with a robbery, a high speed chase that sent three to jail, and two wrecks that sent three people to the hospital.

KFC robbery
   A KFC employee was bound over to the grand jury Tuesday on a charge of armed robbery stemming from a hold up at the restaurant.
   According to Assistant Police Chief Erby Montgomery, a man he identified as Marcus Townsend, 31, is accused of aiding a suspect in the robbery of the restaurant on Sunset Drive Monday night. Bond for Townsend was set at $100,000, Montgomery said.
   “Mr. Townsend was arrested at the scene after investigators viewed security tapes and saw him walking behind the suspect several times,” Montgomery said. “At this time, we cannot release any information pending further investigation.”
   According to reports released by the police department, officers responded to a robbery call at KFC at approximately 10:45 p.m. and did not see anybody in the building.
   After additional police units arrived, a perimeter was set up around the building, and a verbal command was given for anybody in the building to exit.
   One person exited through the back door, the report stated.
   According to the report, a witness stated that she was talking to another employee in front of the drive-through window when a man described as wearing a black-hooded sweatshirt, a red bandana over his face and black gloves came through the back door.
   The witness told police that he pointed two handguns at workers and started demanding money.
   Another witness said he was coming out of one of the store’s two coolers when the suspect pointed a gun at him and forced him back into the cooler.
   According to the report, police made contact with Townsend, who said he saw the suspect and ran out the back door for help.
   In the surveillance tape viewed by police, Townsend was seen walking past the suspect several times and was outside the back door at the same time as the suspect exited the store, the report stated.

High speed chase
   A Grenada man faces a felony pursuit charges after leading Grenada police on a high speed chase Sunday morning, according to Montgomery.
   According to Montgomery, a man he identified as Timothy Michael Taylor, 28, is charged with felony pursuit and driving with a suspended license.
   Timothy Taylor waived his right to a preliminary hearing and was bound over to the grand jury Tuesday, and bond was set at $5,000, Montgomery said.
   Montgomery said a police officer was doing a patrol at approximately 8:36 a.m. on Country Club Road when he noticed a silver 2012 Chevy Malibu sitting in front of Thompson Photography with a male and female inside.
   “A police officer approached the vehicle and asked the two people their names, and Mr. Taylor identified himself as Curtis Taylor,” Montgomery said. “The female identified herself as Charity Lynn Greer Taylor.”
   According to Montgomery, Taylor said he did not have any identification. The police officer tried to run the name through dispatch.
   “Dispatch didn’t have any information on Mr. Taylor, and they asked for a Social Cecurity number,” Montgomery said. “When the officer asked for the number, Mr. Taylor became very agitated.”
   The officer returned to his vehicle to call for backup units when Charity Taylor approached the patrol car, Montgomery said.  
   “When the patrolman ran her name, she was wanted on an outstanding city warrant and was placed under arrest,” Montgomery said. “When two other officers got to the scene, the patrolman went back to the vehicle to speak to Mr. Taylor.”
   According to Montgomery, when the officer got to the car, Timothy Taylor locked the doors, rolled up the window and sped off, heading south on Country Club Road.
   Patrol cars followed him on Country Club Road as he reached Tie Plant Road and headed east toward McCormick Road, Montgomery said.
   “Police followed Mr. Taylor at speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour from McCormick Road to Nat G. Troutt Road,” Montgomery said. “The pursuit was called off when Mr. Taylor entered into Carroll County.”
   Montgomery said police found Mr. Taylor’s true identity when Charity Taylor was searched, and his drivers license was found in her possession.
   According to Montgomery, Timothy Taylor was arrested at his father’s house in Carroll County by Carroll County and Grenada County sheriff’s deputies a few hours after the chase.

Duck Hill wreck
   Three people were sent to the hospital with serious, but non life-threatening injuries, Tuesday morning after a two-vehicle accident on Highway 51 near Duck Hill.
   According to Cpl. Michael Peeples of the highway patrol, Hayden Kendle Kirk, 23, of Winona was sent by ambulance to University of Mississippi Medical Center after his 1994 Ford Ranger struck a 2004 Nissan Sentra head on at approximately 10:47 a.m.
   The driver of the Nissan, identified as Claude Lee Myers, 62, of Duck Hill, was also sent by ambulance to UMC, Peeples said.
   “A passenger in the Nissan Sentra, identified as Bobby Chamberlain of Duck Hill, was airlifted to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo,” Peeples said.
   Chamberlain’s age is not known.
   According to Peeples, Kirk was traveling northbound on Highway 51 a mile south of Duck Hill when he veered into the southbound lane and hit Myers.
   Peeples said investigators are looking into speeding or texting while driving as factors in the accident.
   As of Wednesday, Chamberlain was in the intensive care unit listed in serious, but stable, condition, according to a spokesman for North Mississippi Medical Center.
   Kirk was released from the hospital Wednesday.
   No injuries were reported in a Thursday morning accident involving two tractor-trailer rigs on Interstate 55 south, according to a Highway Patrol official.

Chief Deputy on leave
   Grenada County Chief Sheriff’s Deputy Johnny Grantham has been placed on leave for several weeks for emotional stress, according to  Sheriff Alton Strider.
   When asked, Strider would not release information about why Grantham was on leave, citing personnel reasons.

Current Conditions
Light Rain
Grenada, MS
Radar & More >>
click ad below for details
  • View All Ads